Streaming Metro service

Topics: Interop Bindings
Sep 18, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Hi guys. I'm trying to create a streaming service using the interop bindings, but transferMode is not supported by metroBinding in the config file. I'm taking the same approach as I would a standard WCF service. Is there another way to do this or is streaming not supported by a Metro binding?

Thanks very much

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:03 PM

WCF Web API is no longer actively being developed (please see the announcement on the project home page). You can either use WCF as part of .NET 4 or .NET 4.5 or you can use ASP.NET Web API. The latter is also available as open source on Codeplex.

We have a sample for asynchronously streaming data in ASP.NET Web API -- you can find a detailed description in the blog Async Streaming in ASP.NET Web API and the source is available on Codeplex -- see the VS 2010 version and VS 2012 version for details. For a full list of samples, please see the blog List of ASP.NET Web API and HttpClient Samples.

Thanks,

Henrik

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Ok, I'm a little confused. So was the WCF Express Interop Bindings project part of the original WCF Web API? And now the same functionality that existed in the interop bindings is part of ASP.NET Web API? I have an existing streaming service over a net.tcp binding that needs to be consumed by a java client, will the ASP.NET Web API will allow me to do that? I dont really want to rewrite the service but rather just add a binding that the java client understands. I figured a Metro binding would do the job.