MVC merger

Topics: Web Api
Jan 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Can you drop any hints as to when we'll get details on the WebAPI/MVC merger? When I heard the news I was both really happy, and quite worried :)
So many questions at the moment, and with a new web service in full production I start to think about possible risks.

* Can we expect major changes to the WebAPI framework architecture? Already invested quite a bit code in the current architecture with delegating/operation handlers etc.  I don't mind refactoring if there are some good gains.
 * Can we expect to use MVC tech in our Web APIs? Routes obviously, but what about things like AuthorizeAttribute, some per-request context (something like MVC's HttpContext), action filters? We've spent time writing functionality for WebAPI that already exists in MVC (for ex. authorization).
 * Will MVC itself get benefits from WebAPI? DelegatingHandler, OperationHandler etc? :)
 * Then I guess MVC and WebAPI will have quite a few common classes.
 * Will this affect the frequency of WebAPI drops? Only one preview has been released of MVC 4, I guess we have to wait for the first beta now?
 * And I guess being bundled with MVC also means the release is more closely tied to .NET 4.5.

Just something like "expect detailed information in x weeks" would be great and help me with planning.  We have a big release coming up in ~4 months, and if all of this is still a long way out I will probably stick with and release a service with WebAPI preview 6.

But I really hope this will bring us a more mature and better framework.  There are definitely some similiarities between the two frameworks and I think each can benefit from the other.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Can you drop any hints about when we can expect more info? Rumors tell us to expect a Win8/.NET 4.5 beta in late Feb.

Can you at least tell us if we'll be able to use MVC routing to generate resource links? Or if you're still going with some kind of lookup table (because handlers can change the url to method mapping) ?

Feb 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Bump.  Specifically, what's up with mvc routing?  Would be nice to have.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Scott Gu just announced that Web API will be going open source.  This is a bit weird if it's "merging with MVC" ?

Feb 8, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Isn't ASP.NET MVC already open source?

Feb 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Yes, how did I forget that? :)

Btw.. I just noticed this, maybe there's some info coming soon :)

"Building HTTP services with ASP.NET Web API in MVC 4 Beta" by Daniel Roth, today at 1PM CST.

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Siggi - good spot!  "ASP.NET Web API" is a whole lot better than WCF Web API.  ("WCF" just confuses people - just look at some of the answers re. Web API on StackOverflow.)

Hopefully more info coming soon... I think that "they" are building up to a major, major announcement re. ASP.NET / MVC / WebAPI / Azure / Node / Cloud9 / what-have-you.  Something big is cooking, I'm sure of it.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Join us online today and find out! :)
Feb 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Is it recorded ? For those that cannot assit ?

2012/2/8 BradWilson <>

Join us online today and find out! :)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (

To start a new discussion for this project, email

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I wrote up some notes from the live meeting: