Overall domain model structure

Topics: Web Api
Apr 19, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Hi guys, awesome job with the Preview 4 release, I'm already refactoring my prototype REST project to use the new channels and formatters, it looks cleaner and more flexible every time you release.

Though, it leads me to a question almost impossible for you to answer; how stable do you think the domain model is now? Are you still planning many structural changes?

I'm hitchhiking on the wcf web api project because I want to be ready when production comes along but am afraid of another major refact when the Preview 5 is here.

I know this is difficult to say, but any indications?

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Hi gergben

I would not expect thre to be major changes in Preview 5. This last preview had huge changes because it was the first time we fully merged our internal codebase onto codeplex. Basically that was like 6+ months of work that we were finally able to get out. The previous drops were based on an early prototype and not our full code.

I am not saying the code won't change, as it will, but it should be less dramatic. The area that will likely change is for the things that are in the Enhancements project in particular our config / fluent api story. That has not yet settled yet, but those apis are centeralized in a single place in your app such that even if they do change the cost should be minimal.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Thx Glenn,

A small follow-up if you don't mind:

It looks to me that the UriFormatExtensionMessageChannel could be a candidate to be standardized instead of being in the ContactManager project. I'd like those extensions in all of the projects. Would that be accurate?

Gerben.