WCF REST Status?

Topics: Web Api
Feb 24, 2011 at 8:07 PM

What is the status of the WCF REST project? Is it ready for live production environments?

I am just starting developing a new WCF based REST API and I need to make good choice about what "framework/platform" to use. I saw Glenn's talk about REST at Öredev

and it was great and the REST API's sounds very interesting to me.

But should I stick to standard WCF 4.0 to be safe for now? or can I safely start developing with WCF REST for aim to release to production in 1-2 months? Its hard me to

to convince the client to allow me to bet on a alpha release of a crucial part of my application.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:55 AM

I don't think it would be wise to try and use this library for an app that needs to be live in production within 1-2 months.

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2011 at 4:39 PM

@Sune42

The project is in development. I would say it is too early to use the current bits for a production environment. Around summer time, our bits will be a lot more production ready.

From a production-ready standpoint 4.0 is your best bet.

Thanks Glenn

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Is this the same by now, it is more than two months and we are at preview 4, can we use it in production of a system that will go live in two months from now? It is expect to be released before?

are the current bits, stable enough for production?

I appreciate any feedback on this...

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:40 AM

I would say no.  I am not privy to any schedules but I highly doubt you will see anything production ready before September.  I realize this can be frustrating but that is the downside of getting early access to the bits and being able to provide feedback.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM

It is frustrating yes... but is the API stable or it is expected that it will go through somehow considerable revisions?

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I would expect the API for handling requests, the HttpOperationHandlers and HttpMessageHandler to be quite stable now.  The part that could change is the Host configuration.  If you look at the source for the project, the parts that could change are in the "prototypes" folder, the parts in the "src" folder are relatively stable.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Thanks for the update..

Are there any plans to release more "Previews" before september?

Thanks,

Mahesh.

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2011 at 4:25 PM
Yes definitely. I hope to get another drop in July.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:53 AM
To: Glenn Block
Subject: Re: WCF REST Status? [wcf:247468]

Thanks for the update..

Are there any plans to release more "Previews" before september?

Thanks,

Mahesh.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Is there any news?

I will also start developing a new WCF based REST API and I also need to make a good choice. "WCF REST"(WCF Web API) or "WCF 4.0"?

The WCF Web API sounds very interesting.

So almost the same question:

Should I stick to standard WCF 4.0 to be safe for now? Or can I safely start developing with WCF REST(WCF Web API) for aim to release to production in 3-4 months? 

Thanks,

Christian