WebApi Interface/Implementation Question

Topics: Web Api
Jan 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM

In most of the examples I found on the Net of other WCF REST implementation approaches I saw a distinction of having an Interface for the service to be implemented and the implementation of the service (based on the Interface). In all WebApi examples (so far) I didn't found this distinction with other words no interfaces? Is this the way to do it or ... ?

thanks.
Guy

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

@Guy, I have a concrete "Api" class with a number of operation methods, all of which return Task<TResult>.  The TResults are all "resource" classes, essentially DTOs.  (My media type formatters export these resources in XML and JSON form, but that's another story).

The Api class has an injected back-end service dependency, of type IService.  This is where the interface aspect comes in.  In production (i.e. in the integration case, not in the unit testing case), the binding of IService to the class that implements it is done via Ninject.  Ninject is set up in my MVC host's Global.asax.

The operation methods in the Api class are very, very thin.  They basically call the corresponding methods in the IService interface (asynchronously).  The Api class deals with HTTP responses, status codes, etc.  IService and its implementation do not know about these things: e.g. they return errors in the form of thrown .NET exceptions, which the Api class catches and deals with.

IService and the resource DTOs are defined in a separate assembly from the frontend Api class.  The backend implementation of IService is in yet another assembly (plus I have a TestData assembly for implementing IService for test-harness data).

I think that this is a good separation of concerns.  It's good enough for my needs.

So... you can separate out concerns using interfaces, but it's up to you to design your code this way.  WCF Web API isn't going to impose this sort of thing on you.  And for simplicity's sake, you probably won't see code samples from the WCF Web API team that go to the above lengths.