On the name "WCF Web API"...

Topics: Web Api
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I'm building a "web api" (I want to avoid the use of the term "REST" service).  So I have two WebApi solutions, mine and yours!  It can cause confusion, but that's my fault.

Now you can call your (excellent) web stack what you want, but I have some suggestions...

#1 "WCF" is a turn-off for those who were burned by the complexity of SOAP WCF.

#2 "Web API"... it's not really a web api in that its functionality isn't accessed over the web.  Rather it's a set of assemblies that are accessed in-process.  What it is is a Web API builder.

If you want to consider a different name before you go live, maybe: Web Api Builder.  The WAB.  Microsoft WAB.

Just thinking out loud.

Happy Holidays.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I can understand why they want to use the term WCF since it's supposed to be the Windows Communication Framework.

However, it seems the connection between WCF and this REST Framework isn't that much? It doesn't use the same configuration and using the API isn't like using WCF at all.

Maybe they should just call it WTF? ;)

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I can understand MS not wanting to use the term "REST" in the name, because although it supports REST it's not necessarily tied to REST... it's wider than that.  So I do understand the term "Web API".  But like it said, it itself isn't a "Web API".  It's a framework that can be used to build web apis.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Web Api Framework? WAF.  A framework to build Web APIs.