Release Date

Topics: Web Api
Sep 27, 2011 at 3:42 PM

When is the target release date of the WCF Web APIS?

Its been about a year since the first preview.  I can't see that WCF Web APIs are part of .net 4.5.   Will this be part of .net 5?  Will this be an out of band release?

I know you cant comment on specific dates, but at least a "this will be or won't be part of" another release would be good.

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2011 at 4:45 PM

We are targeting shipping WCF Web API with the rest of the .NET web platform in April of 2012. We do not currently plan on shipping WCF Web API with .NET 4.5. Like much of the .NET web platform, WCF Web API will ship out of band on NuGet. This gives us the ability to ship updates and new features much faster.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Daniel Roth

Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:42 AM
To: Daniel Roth
Subject: Release Date [wcf:273995]

When is the target release date of the WCF Web APIS?

Its been about a year since the first preview. I can't see that WCF Web APIs are part of .net 4.5. Will this be part of .net 5? Will this be an out of band release?

I know you cant comment on specific dates, but at least a "this will be or won't be part of" another release would be good.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (wcf@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email wcf@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Daniel,

What about the development plan from now to April?

What is planned to evolve/change?

Or in other words, how stable is the API? Can we go ahead and use it for production apps? I remember reading somewhere that as of September it ought to be stable enough for production - is that current information?

Thanks

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2011 at 4:49 AM

You are welcome to use the current bits in production. We have been working with many customers who are in active development using the current bugs. But, these are preview bits so they are provided as is - there is no support for them yet other than what you can get from the discussion forums. You would need to test thoroughly to ensure the current bits meet your requirements.

You should also still expect more API churn (and more features!) between now and April. At this time we are not ready to discuss any additional schedule information.

Daniel

Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:07 AM
To: Daniel Roth
Subject: Re: Release Date [wcf:273995]

Daniel,

What about the development plan from now to April?

What is planned to evolve/change?

Or in other words, how stable is the API? Can we go ahead and use it for production apps? I remember reading somewhere that as of September it ought to be stable enough for production - is that current information?

Thanks

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:25 PM

When I read the license on this site, it sounds like you can only use the code in production within the company you work for (i.e., you cannot use it in a commercial application).  Is that true, or am I misinterpreting the license?